I have a friend staying with me, so tonight we made a nice dinner followed by…APPLE PIE. Need I say more?
It’s an easy pie to make with very little sweetener in it that’s still plenty sweet. Here’s the recipe:
- Buy a pie crust (no, I’m not really that good!)
- Peel and slice apples – anything that’s firm and mildly tart is a good choice. I like to have enough apples to mound up higher than the level of the dish because they cook down some while baking.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice over the apples.
- Add ground cinnamon and ground ginger to taste.
- Combine 1/4 cup of honey with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot.
- Pour the honey mixture over the apples.
- Pour the apples into the pie crust.
- Put the second pie crust on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Reduce the eat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 more minutes.
- Let the pie cool down before you eat it, otherwise you’ll burn your tongue. Put some vanilla ice cream on it…just because you can.
Make sure you leave enough to have for breakfast.