Tonight I went to a high school basketball game. To give you some perspective on what a big deal that is, I don’t think I ever went to a basketball game when I was in high school. (I went to a couple of basketball practices when I was in college because the Boston Celtics practiced on our campus, but I’m pretty sure I never went to a game.)
So, if you’re keeping score, that means the last time I went to a basketball game was in junior high school when I was (oh the horrors of admitting this publicly!) the least coordinated cheerleader alive. That’s about 25 years.
But tonight, I went back to my high school gym and watched the Hilltopper girls win the first round of their playoffs.
I’ve been hired by my alma mater to do some freelance writing for the website and alumni magazine (the first two articles went live the other day!) Tonight I went to do a story about the excitement surrounding the big game.
Here’s the crazy part – I HAD FUN!!!! I never expected that! The game went into overtime and I stayed and enjoyed watching it!!
Which got me thinking about all of the many different things I’ve done for the first time (or the first time in a really long time) since I started this journal. Here’s a quick list:
* I started working for the newspaper
* I went from being a full-time website designer to a full-time writer.
* I made a 10-hour drive (each way) solo
* I was interviewed (twice!) on Hay House Radio
* I fell head over heels in loveI got my heart broken
* I took a trip on a motorcycle
* I went on a moonlight paddle
* I went tree climbing and llama walking
* I went on an adventure zip line course
* I went skiing for the first time in 15+ years
* I was published in my university’s alumni magazine
* I went wedding gown shopping
* I conceived, wrote, and produced five insert sections for the newspaper
* I started writing a weekly newspaper column
* I created a budget and a planto pay off debt
And those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. Wow.
It’s been a big year. And I think it’s due in large part to writing here on the Journal about the good that’s been happening each day. Not every day has been pretty or happy or easy, but there’s been something that I could take away from each day and be glad that I lived it.
Thanks for being part of the journey.
What has the past year brought you that you didn’t expect?